1 a large entrance or reception room or area [syn: anteroom, antechamber, entrance hall, hall, foyer, vestibule]
2 a group of people who try actively to influence legislation [syn: pressure group, third house] v : detain in conversation by or as if by holding on to the outer garments of; as for political or economic favors [syn: buttonhole] [also: lobbied]
- Rhymes: -ɒbi
- An entryway or waiting area; vestibule.
- I had to wait in the lobby for hours before seeing the doctor.
- The class or group of people who try to lobby or influence
public officials; collectively, lobbyists.
- The influence of the tobacco lobby has decreased considerably in the US.
- In the context of "intransitive|transitive": To attempt to
influence (a public official or decision-maker) in favor of a
specific opinion or cause.
- For years, pro-life groups have continued to lobby hard for restrictions on abortion.
- The corporations don't have to lobby the government anymore. They are the government. -- Jim Hightower
To attempt to influence
- French: faire pression sur
Lobby may refer to:
lobby in Czech: Lobby
lobby in German: Lobby
lobby in French: Lobby (homonymie)
lobby in Chinese: 大堂
Rasputin, Svengali, VIP, access, act on, advocate, approach, bad influence, bear upon, big wheel, blandish, cajole, call on, call upon, coax, constitute, corridor, court, decree, draw, draw on, eminence grise, enact, enact laws, entrance, entrance hall, entranceway, entry, entryway, exert influence, exhort, filibuster, five-percenter, foyer, friend at court, galilee, get cozy with, get the floor, good influence, gray eminence, hall, hallway, have the floor, heavyweight, hidden hand, high-pressure, importune, influence, influence peddler, influencer, ingroup, insist, insist upon, jawbone, key, kill, kingmaker, lead on, legislate, legislative lobby, lobby through, lobbyer, lobbyist, logroll, lords of creation, magnetize, make advances, make overtures, make up to, man of influence, manipulator, nag, narthex, open sesame, ordain, parliamentary agent, pass, persuade, pigeonhole, plead with, pocket, portal, portico, powers that be, press, pressure, pressure group, promote, propylaeum, pull strings, push, put in force, put through, railroad through, reception room, recommend, registered lobbyist, roll logs, sinister influence, soft-soap, special interests, special-interest group, special-interest lobby, stoa, sway, sweet-talk, table, take the floor, the Establishment, threshold, urge, very important person, vestibule, veto, wheedle, wheeler-dealer, wire-pull, wire-puller, work on, yield the floor